The Bottom Line
- Specific strength building in the correct freestyle stroke movement/stroke path
- Design elements of the paddle help promote proper swimming catch position
- The paddles size can help teach a swimmer to use a whole body swim stroke
- Large size can lead to shoulder problems if the paddles are not used properly
- The paddles must be used at a slower stroke rate
- Large (very large!) hand paddles designed to aid swimmers strength and freestyle stroke development.
- Made of lightweight aluminum with a small bend at the tip to help put the hand and arm in a high elbow catch position.
- Foam floats in the wrist/forearm area help promote a high elbow catch.
- Available in three sizes with adjustable hand and forarm straps.
Guide Review - FAST Paddles from Tropical Penguin - The FAST Paddle is "For Sprinters Only"
The FAST (Friederang Advanced Sprint Training) swim paddles are large - that is one of the key elements in the design to help swimmers develop strength through the whole body - arm, shoulder, chest, and core. A swimmer can lock in the catch, then feel the muscles used for a good pull, from fingertip on down the body.
The front end of the paddle has a bend in it, designed to move the paddle into a good catch position quickly and efficiently. The paddle also has adjustable floats under the wrist/forearm area to help lift the arm and elbow into that good catch position.