Eric will race the 200 Breaststroke at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. On 11 July, the AP reported that Eric Shanteau has a bigger challenge ahead than racing in the swimming pool. He has to battle testicular cancer. The report states he is delaying surgery until after the 2008 Olympics, but will change that plan if the cancer worsens.
- CLUB: Longhorn Aquatics (TXLA-TX)
- DOB: Oct 1, 1983
- HEIGHT: 6' 1" (185.4 cm)
- HOMETOWN: Lilburn, Ga.
- BIRTHPLACE: Snellville, Ga.
- COACHED BY: Randy Reese / Eddie Reese / Chris Davis
- High School: Parkview HS '02
- College: Auburn '06
- College Major: Entrepreneurship and Family Business
- Future Professional Aspirations: To open a boat shop
- Parents: Richard and Janet; father works in retail, and mother is a college English professor
- Sibling(s): Older brother (Ryan) swam for Georgia Tech (’02)
- Pet(s): One dog (Abbey)
- Hobbies Outside the Pool: Wakeboarding, mountain biking
- Ultimate Way to Relax: A day on the lake, wakeboarding
- Most Influential Person: Club coach at Swim Atlanta (Chris Davis)
- Training Stats: Swims 15,000 meters/yards per day, 6 hours a day, 6 days a week
- U.S. city: Austin, Texas
- band: Incubus