Dave made it as a relay swimmer for the 4x200 freestyle relay.
- CLUB: Longhorn Aquatics (TXLA-TX) / Coast Guard Blue Dolphins
- DOB: Sep 27, 1987
- HEIGHT: 6' 2" (188.0 cm)
- WEIGHT: 170 lbs (77.1 kg)
- HOMETOWN: Yorktown, Va.
- COACHED BY: Randy Reese / Eddie Reese / Jack Bierie
- High School: Tabb HS '06
- College: Texas '10
- College Major: Undeclared, but is considering engineering
- Future Professional Aspirations: Engineer for the Coast Guard
- Parents: Wayne and Susan; father is a mechanical engineer, and mother is an operations coordinator; David and his father take as many beach trips to go surfing as possible
- Sibling(s): Sister (Gailey) swam at James Madison
- Notable Relative(s): Grandfather (George Cherry) competed in track and field at Auburn
- Started Swimming: "I started swimming with my neighborhood team around the age 5 to improve my swimming skills so that I could go surfing in rougher conditions with my dad. It killed me to have to sit on the beach and see my dad get monster barrels."
- Sports Played Before Swimming: Little league soccer; "Unfortunately we didn’t have a coach, so my dad stepped in after watching the FIFA World Cup and lead the team to victory."
- Nickname(s): Que Tip; "When summer time comes, I still have pale skin, and my body burns more than tans."
- Hobbies Outside the Pool: Surfing, sailing, skeet shooting, cooking, reading
- Ultimate Way to Relax: Hanging out by a campfire, listening to music, watching movies, and reading
- Most Influential Person: Club coach (Jack Bierie); "He’s taught me to be a man. Jack has given me discipline and courage to accomplish my goals. I’ll never forget waking up at Nationals for wake-up swims, and then analyzing all the swimmers in my prelim heat over breakfast. Jack is also my friend."
- Role model: "My sister because without her I would be nothing."
- Charities: Newport News Beach Clean Up with Midtown Aquatic Center
- Training Stats: 15,000 meters/yards per day with doubles, 3.5 hours per day with doubles, plus weight training and dryland circuits
- Music: Lil Wayne, Birdman, 50 Cent, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam
- Movie: Cloverfield
- TV: The Office