The Bottom Line
- Takes the water off like no other towel I have tried
- Lightweight, easy to pack, takes up less space than a traditional towel
- The towel dries quickly, and still works even when wet
- Antimicrobial silver treatment and SPF protection
- Easy to use as a wrap after the pool or shower
- Does not feel like a traditional towel
- If everyone had loved it, no doubt this is a five-star item
- Available in a lot of colors and a variety of sizes
- Dries much faster than traditional towels - it gets you dry fast, and it drys fast after use
- Lightweight and easy to pack - takes up less space than an old-fashioned towel of the same surface area
- Antimicrobial silver treatment - helps keep the towel clean and un-funky smelling
- SPF built-in - level dependent on fabric color
- Easy to use as a wrap due to its stretchy nature - this also makes it feel unlike traditional towels
Guide Review - Discovery Ultra Fast Dry Towel - Think of it as the Un-Towel
It gets water off of you (or off of anything) quickly, easily, and very, very well. It is great to use as a wrap coming out of the pool or the shower. It takes up less space in a gear bag than a traditional towel of similar surface area. I (and other swimmers) used it for about 6-weeks, and it is not showing any signs of wear and tear. It did not get stinky when left wet, in a gear bag, in the back seat of a car for a weekend (probably due to the silver content of the material, designed to act as an antimicrobial agent). Besides doing a quick job of drying me after a swim, it dries fast as well (when I remember to take it out of the gear bag in the back my car).
On the hate side? That is where my thought of an un-towel comes into play. Hate may be too strong; perhaps misunderstand, untraditional, or revolutionary are better ways to describe the feelings some of the testers tried to convey. "It dried me off, but it did not feel like a towel" sums up the reasons of those swimmers that said they did not like it.
Most of us think a towel is supposed to feel a certain way. This towel does not feel like a towel! It's smooth and stretchy. It was not that it did not work (it does, better than traditional towels), it is that it did not feel as expected. We all think a towel is supposed to feel a certain way on our skin, but the nature of the fabric used for the Ultra Fast-Dry Towel is a "lightweight moisture-management fabric" and is not what most people think of when they think of a towel. It feels odd.
Feel, not function. Get over it!