- Count laps in 2s, so swim out and back for 2, then back for 4, back for 6...
- —Guest cc
- I count each 25 yard length of the pool: 25, 50, 75, 100, 125 etc. 25 and 75 are in one direction and 50 and 100 in the other. I don't have much trouble keeping track.
- —Guest Georganne
Use the timer function on my timex
- I found out that the easiest way to keep track of my swimming is by using my Timex Ironman's timer function. I set the timer on my desired send-off time and the watch will count the repeats. Works pretty decent. For laps i just count in my head but would consider bringing an aid when doing long distances like 1500 :) .
- —Guest Swimgearblog
- I count each length, one by one in ascending order, though sometimes in descending order--and I invariably loose count! So not necessary a good method. I sometimes count by 100s too.
- —Guest Annie
Call me old-fashioned, but...
- I use a written workout (I write them on index cards that I keep in a ziploc bag at the side of the pool), but for longer sets I rotate a hand paddle or kickboard that I've put at the side of the pool. For example, if I'm doing 8 x 100m, I start with the kickboard right-side up "pointing" towards 12 o'clock. After the 1st 100, I'd turn it to point to 3 o'clock, then 9, then back to 12. That's 4 x 100, or halfway done. Repeat and it's 8 x 100. I can pretty easily keep count up to 100m, but sometimes I forget which repetition I'm on. Knowing my general times also helps, of course, as does splitting up sets into easy-to-remember chunks--for example, doing 12 x 50m as 3 50s of each stroke rather than doing all 12 free.
- —Guest Betsy
- I count laps by 2, 2-4-6-8-10-12. Then 2-4-18-8-10-24 Then 2-4-30-8-10-36 Half M ile.
- —Guest Marsh
I use a dedicated swimming watch
- I use a Poolmate swimming watch that counts laps automatically for me, it is the original from from swimovate.com, but other manufacturers have developed similar devices since. I like it a lot. Think of it like a bicycle computer or a step counter for swimmers
- —Guest Marcellino
Previous16-22 of 22