Swam from age 3
- I've been swimming since I was three and go to 3 practices a week. I swim because A. It helps your body stay healthy, and B. When I'm swimming, there's no noise to bother me. It's my happy place. ;)
- —Guest Katie
- I am 87 Had knee replacment, Have taught for 45 yrs. for Red Cross. Learned at 1 yr, love to swim.
- —Guest Mary Ann Higginbotham
Swim for fitness
- I swim 2 miles 3 times a week. Took lessons to learn to swim in order to scuba dive. Practiced 1 length, built it up to 2, aimed for 3 etc. when I reached 6, guys invited me into a swim lane & it took off from there. I love swimming! Good workout & good on the joints!! I feel great because of swimming!!! Now I dive as well so achieved several goals. I'm 44 & learned to swim 3 years ago. We swim all strokes in the lane. I love it!!!!!!!
- —Guest Jim
Swim for fitness
- I swim 2 miles 3 times a week. Took lessons to learn to swim in order to scuba dive. Practiced 1 length, built it up to 2, aimed for 3 etc. when I reached 6, guys invited me into a swim lane & it took off from there. I love swimming! Good workout & good on the joints!! I feel great because of swimming!!! Now I dive as well so achieved several goals.
- —Guest Jim
- At 65, I still go scuba diving. Being able to swim a mile, even slowly, keeps me in reasonable condition - especially having a bad knee.
- —Guest Jim K
Cardio and Strength
- I swim 3 days a week for 1 mile each day. It's a great total body workout for cardiovascular and muscular fitness. That's why I swim. Plus, it calming, peaceful and not stress on my joints.
- —Guest Charles
What works for me
- For many years I've been swimming 5-6 days a week. No more than s mile...no less than 1/2 mile. I am now 75. Every year my physical gets better and better. Doctor loves it!
- —Guest Ron Bianchi
Re Learned to Swim
- My Swimming was 30 minutes of thrashing the pool and dying from youth to middle age. Never got anywhere and gave it up repeatedly as i never got anywhere. Scuba dived and loved it. At 49 i needed taught technique and had to loose some weight. Fitness classes were getting boring so joined a Triathlon Club, It is a uphill struggle retraining your Neural Pathways but with excellent coaching there is an improvement every week, use Swim Smooth website for pointers and Total immersion helped on theory and how to slow me down. You have to go slower to go faster, starting to understand it and laps are now happy laps and starting to love the challenge to swim further and faster. Still to get up to 400m for my 1st come and Tri. There are only 4 things to learn to go faster and that is Technique, Technique, Technique and speed. Davey
why i swim
- for me swim is like a iog, to relax, fit and feel the water
- —Guest caelos h
Cause im Water
- I swim ´cause there is no other place on earth where i can really feel within my self, safe and powerfull, away from and close to all thoughts.... i think we can all relate to that
- —Guest Rod
- I have just started back swimming,, and love it ,depending on the conditions in the pool, I normally take my time and enjoy doing 1 mile, aprox. 20 lengths in half an our, today I swam for 2hrs, It helps me get fit again also with my angina, and hiatal hernia,I should loose a stone, so onwards I must go, good luck to all who love it as much as I do.
- —Guest Sandra
Why do I swim
- I have been swimming since the age of 6 years. I am now 50. I have disc prolapse and last year ruptured my right achilles tendon while playing basket ball. I have been in total depression till I gathered courage to enter the pool with these problems. I began slowly but as of now in one month I am swimming 2 hours free style everyday. I have lost all the extra flab I had gathered during my hospitalisation. I simply love swimming and cant imagine life without it
- —Guest Sushil Gurung
Why I swim.
- For fitness. I am 65 years old. I swim 3 or 4 times a week. Usually a mile a session.
- —Guest Marlin
Why Not swim???
- I started swimming to ge toned. I have become addicted to it. I swim 4-5x/week and do at least 50 laps in 25 metre pool. My goal is to swim 1 mile 1-2x/week as well. I absolutely LOVe it!!!
- —Guest Sherry
why do u swim?
- i m 46,i swim 5 days a week. i do 60 laps of 25 meters pool in an hour non stop with free hand n back stroke . do half an hour free hand exercise to warm up n meditation to relax my body n mind,i love it very much,its really awesome feelings!!!.feels to energetic n growing more n more patience to live happy life to feel good in mind:)
- —Guest megh