Sat 9 August 2008 Evening Session
- Men's 400m Individual Medley - Heats
1. 4:07.82 (OR) Michael Phelps, USA
2. 4:09.26 Laszlo Cseh, HUN
3. 4:10.22 Luca Marin, ITA
4. 4:10.33 Ryan Lochte, USA
5. 4:10.66 Gergo Kis, HUN
6. 4:10.68 Alessio Boggiatto, ITA
- Women's 100m Butterfly - Heats
1. 57.58 Jessicah Schipper, AUS
2. 57.70 Yafei Zhou, CHN
2. 57.70 Christine Magnuson, USA
4. 57.77 Li Tao, CHN
5. 58.00 Gabriella Silva, BRA
6. 58.06 Elaine Breeden, USA
- Men's 400m Freestyle - Heats
1. 3:43.10 Larsen Jensen, USA
2. 3:43.32 Lin Zhang, CHN
3. 3:43.35 Tae Hwen Park, KOR
4. 3:43.45 Nikita Lobintsev, RUS
5. 3:44.03 Grant Hackett, AUS
6. 3:44.22 Peter Vanderkaay, USA
- Women's 400m Individual Medley - Heats
1. 4:34.55 Elizabeth Beisel, USA
2. 4:34.63 Katie Hoff, USA
3. 4:35.11 Alessia Filippa, ITA
3. 4:35.11 Stephanie Rice, AUS
5. 4:36.25 Yana Martynova, RUS
6. 4:36.35 Xuanxu Li, CHN
- Men's 100m Breaststroke - Heats
1. 59.41 (OR) Alexander Dale Oen, NOR
2. 59.52 Kosuke Kitajima, JPN
3. 59.67 Hugues Duboscq, FRA
4. 59.89 Brenton Rickard, AUS
5. 59.96 Cameron Van der Burgh, RSA
6. 1:00.11 Giedriua Titenis, LTU
10. 1:00.36 Bendan Hansen, USA
16. 1:00.71 Mark Gangloff, USA
- Women's 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay - Heats
1. 3:36.78 China
2. 3:37.52 Germany
3. 3:37.53 USA
4. 3:37.61 Netherlands
5. 3:37.76 France
6. 3:37.81 Australia
7. 3:38.82 Canada
8. 3:39.19 Great Britain
OR = Olympic Record
WR = World Record
USA Swimming Report: Jensen Breaks American Record, All U.S. Swimmers Advance on Opening Night of Olympic CompetitionLarsen Jensen (Bakersfield, Calif.) broke his own American record in the prelims of the men's 400m freestyle Saturday in the opening session of the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, turning in a time of 3:43.10. Jensen set the former mark of 3:43.53 in June at the 2008 U.S. Olympic Team Trials in Omaha, Neb.
Jensen's performance qualified him as the top seed heading into Sunday's finals. Peter Vanderkaay (Rochester, Mich.) qualified sixth for finals in 3:44.22.
In the first event of the evening, Michael Phelps (Baltimore, Md.) broke the Olympic record in the men's 400m IM prelims with a time of 4:07.82. Phelps' time was a little less than a second -and-a-half faster than the next-fastest qualifier, Laszlo Cseh of Hungary, who finished in 4:09.26. Ryan Lochte (Daytona Beach, Fla.), the second-fastest swimmer of all time in this event behind Phelps, qualified fourth in 4:10.33.
In the women's 100m fly semifinal, Christine Magnuson (Tinley Park, Ill.) tied for the second seed heading into Sunday's semifinal of the 100m fly, turning in a time of 57.70. Elaine Breeden (Lexington, Ky.) qualified as the sixth seed in 58.06. Australia's Jessica Schipper is the top seed in 57.58.
Elizabeth Beisel (Saunderstown, R.I.) and Katie Hoff (Towson, Md.) grabbed the top two qualifying spots in the prelims of the women's 400m IM, turning in times of 4:34.55 and 4:34.63, respectively. Hoff is the reigning world champion and world record-holder in this event.
In the men's 100m breast, world record-holder Brendan Hansen (Havertown, Pa.) qualified as the 10th seed for tomorrow's semifinal in 1:00.36, while Mark Gangloff (Akron, Ohio) advanced as the 16th seed with a time of 1:00.71. Dale Oen of Norway set the Olympic record in 59.41 and is the top seed.
The American women's 400m free relay of Kara Lynn Joyce (Ann Arbor, Mich.), Julia Smit (Mt. Sinai, N.Y.), Emily Silver (Bainbridge Island, Wash.) and Lacey Nymeyer (Tucson, Ariz.) qualified third for tomorrow's final in 3:37.53. China qualified first in 3:36.78 and Germany was second in 3:37.52.