- the distance of each swim (duration of work)
- the speed of each swim (effort)
- the number of swims (total distance)
- the rest between swims (recovery time)
How to arrange the specifics of swimming training workouts within a week is the tricky part, and that varies for each person's set of individual circumstances.
A rough idea on a week's training workouts might be:
- HARD DAY: Speed - Main set = short repeats with long rest at high speed.
- DAY OFF
- HARD DAY: Fast Endurance - Main set = medium repeats with short to medium rest at medium to fast speeds.
- MODERATE DAY: Endurance - Main set = long repeats with very short rest at medium to slow speeds.
- EASY DAY: Gym + Technique - Main set = Mix of medium and short repeats focusing on technique.
- HARD DAY: Fast Endurance - Main set = medium repeats with short rest at medium speed.
- MODERATE DAY: Gym only.